E-mail MeSheila S. Woodward
Sheila handles the firm’s estate planning, trusts, and probate practice. She also assists small businesses with start-up and post start-up issues, including the formation of corporations, limited liability partnerships, and limited liability companies. Sheila works with farmers and other land owners on real estate matters and assists with the firm’s litigation matters. Sheila manages the firm’s appellate practice and has argued before the South Dakota Supreme Court and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals on numerous occasions.
After graduating from Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1992, Sheila attended the University of Iowa College of Law, graduating with highest distinction in 1995. Sheila clerked for the Honorable Thomas M. Shanahan in the federal district court in Omaha, Nebraska for two years before joining the firm in 1997. She became a partner in 2002.
Sheila and her husband Chris Sonne live in Yankton. Like her counterparts in the firm, Sheila is actively involved in the community, currently serving as Board Chair for both the Heartland Humane Society and Yankton Area Foundation. She also is a director for The Center and serves on the South Dakota Advisory Committee to the United States Civil Rights Commission. Previously, Sheila served on the boards for Big Friend/Little Friend, Yankton Women's/Children's Center, Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota, Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota Foundation, Yankton Area Arts Association, and Trinity Lutheran Church.
In her spare time, Sheila enjoys coaching basketball for the Yankton Special Olympics, cooking, traveling, and cajoling her dogs to walk nicely on a leash. Sheila is the firm’s best fantasy football player, Steve Huff’s claims to the contrary notwithstanding.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Transactions
- Commercial Litigation
- Estate Planning
- South Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court District of South Dakota
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- J.D. - 1995
- Honors: With Highest Distinction
- Augustana College, South Dakota
- B.A.summa cum laude - 1992
- Major: Economics and Government
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Big Friend Little Friend, Inc.
- Yankton Women's and Children's Center
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Yankton Area Arts Association
- Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota
- Lutheran Social Services Foundation